What Causes Congestion?

What causes congestion by Lewis Lehe

7 Responses to What Causes Congestion?

1. Walker Angell
    Walker Angell March 15, 2014 at 9:00 am #

No, no no. We just need to add more lanes!

• Reuben Collins
      Reuben Collins March 21, 2014 at 10:40 am #

I know you’re joking, but adding capacity is a feasible solution that this video doesn’t address for some reason.

• Walker Angell
        Walker Angell March 26, 2014 at 11:04 am #

I was kidding, but I do agree with you. However, I do think we need to look at other options much more seriously before adding capacity, something I’m not sure we do today.

2. Mike Seim March 17, 2014 at 1:30 pm #

We could just get “Anne” to not randomly slow down in the first place. Please?!?

Or we could simply lower the speed limit along urban freeways (45 mph?), allowing more reaction time with the same density

Back in my time at the U, I remember an urban design professor telling us that if they had signed ALL urban freeways as 45 zones from the beginning, people wouldn’t get so cranky about having to “slow down” to 45 during rush hour

• Walker Angell
      Walker Angell March 18, 2014 at 7:09 am #

What happens to throughput at lower speeds? If cars prior to rush hour were all driving 45 instead of 65 or 75, when would rush hour begin? If cars at the head of the jam were limited to 45 instead of 70, when would rush hour end?

3. David March 18, 2014 at 2:19 pm #

Density causes congestion; too many people in too small of a space. A better question is what methods should be employed to mitigate congestion.

4. Eric S March 22, 2014 at 8:56 am #

If 25% of those drivers took public transportation, would we call that induced demand? Would the 25% then be filled up by people taking the open opportunity and moving out to the sprawl?