- This event has passed.
Martin Luther King Park Playground Groundbreaking
May 6, 2015 @ 12:00 pm - 2:00 pm
Join us as we break important ground!
The Minneapolis Park and Recreation Board, with Commissioners Brad Bourn and Jon Olson, invite you to join us as we break ground on the highly anticipated Rev. Dr. Martin Luther King, Jr. Park Playground!
The playground will be the first in the state of Minnesota to honor the Rev. Dr. Martin Luther King Jr., the Civil Rights Movement, and African American History. In collaboration with four local African-American artists and design consultants, the neighborhood and its stakeholders have designed a park that will inspire children, their parents, fellow neighbors and friends of the community.
Main elements of the new playground will include:
• interpretive panels with historical information and QR code links to the African
American Registry website
• a climbing structure replicating the Edmund Pettus Bridge
• a climbable mountaintop
• an educational staircase illustrating authors of African Heritage
• a flag from the Red Hand Division WWI African-American regiment
• themed children’s play to highlight African-American inventors, including our own Minnesotan, Frederick McKinley Jones
The old playground will be completely removed and a new one installed. This special event will feature a brief program, official groundbreaking and light refreshments to follow. We hope to see you there!
Have a tip about an upcoming event you think we should post? Let us know about it. Along with a description, please include the event date and any applicable web address.