Minneapolis-St. Paul Virtual Tour: University of Minnesota

This is a short promotional video produced by the U for recruitment purposes. It has some nice images of Minneapolis and Saint Paul including plenty of helicopter shots and a little bit of the newest video trend–the hyperlapse.

6 Responses to Minneapolis-St. Paul Virtual Tour: University of Minnesota

1. Nick Magrino
    Nick Magrino September 20, 2014 at 11:31 am #

90% of the shots are from months where school isn’t in session!

I was always a fan of this video:

Disclaimer: Worked for the admissions office as a tour guide for years.

• Ted Hathaway September 28, 2014 at 9:24 pm #

Yes, there certainly were very few shots of the season which dominates life here: Winter. I’ll never forget listening to a student intern from North Carolina complain to me about how cold it is here. This was during the Winter of 2012, which was the warmest on record. LAST Winter, on the other hand….I called her to see how it was going for her. “I don’t want to talk about it. Every time I do, I start to cry…” On the other hand, my daughter goes to the University of Massachusetts. When they were complaining about how cold it was last Winter, she contemptuously remarked, “This isn’t Winter…”

Yep. Our Winters are going to be the dominating factor for any poor, dumb boob who goes to the U of MN. This is a propaganda piece, from beginning to end.

2. Matty Lang
    Matty Lang September 20, 2014 at 12:07 pm #

That’s a pretty good one, Nick. I was an orientation leader back in 1997 before internet video existed so I got to do tours too, but after the students had already committed and enrolled.

3. TG September 21, 2014 at 9:44 am #

The shot at 0:51 isn’t anywhere at the U, or even close to the U. I walk by the location of that shot everyday. It is from the 1st floor of 3M Tower in St Paul (known to 3Mers as Building 220). Why would they include it?

• Matty Lang
      Matty Lang September 21, 2014 at 9:47 am #

I think they are trying to promote the entire MSP region with this video although I can see how that shot could be interpreted as showing a place on campus.

• Zach Pasdoe September 29, 2014 at 10:46 pm #

The video title clearly states, “Minneapolis-St. Paul Virtual Tour.” It’s meant to promote the Twin Cities area. Duh.