I need to get something off my back: I am not skilled at packing light for my day at work. Lately I feel like I’m hauling Cheryl Strayed’s “Monster” around with me. It’s getting heavy.
Everything but the kitchen sink
I leave for work around 6 AM and return around 5 PM. In an effort to save money, I bring my own coffee, breakfast, and lunch. On any given commute, I am carrying the following:
- Drinks: cold-press coffee in a tumbler and a refillable water bottle
- House key
- Nice Ride key
- IDs: Metropass & Car2Go, driver’s license (to prove I’m of legal drinking age), U of M ID, Gym proximity card
- Currency & debit/credit cards
- Electronics: phone and laptop
- Food: breakfast, lunch, and snacks
- Workout clothes
My “Monster” situation involves:
- Purse: Ogio Broolyn
Contents: Wallet with IDs; cash/cards; sunglasses; house key
- Laptop bag: Belkin Core backpack
Contents: Laptop and power cord
- Reusable grocery bag: From local grocers and giveaways
Contents: Food and drink (none of my bags have dedicated drink holders)
- Gym bag: A duffle I got for free
Contents: Workout clothes
Even if I don’t take my laptop home with me, that’s 2-3 bags I’m carrying. There’s got to be a better way.
I need your help.
I’d like to consolidate and maximize efficiency for my daily commute. I bet others out there are in a similar situation. Or maybe you are a pro level commuter with tips. Let’s chat about it in the comments.
- What do you do to lighten your load while having all you need for your day at work.
- Do you have recommended purses/packs/bags?
- Do you have a system in place for streamlining what you’re carrying on your person?