NoMi Love

Hello streets.mn community!

My name is Angelina and I recently joined the streets.mn board. I am a resident of the Northside – Near North/Old Highland neighborhood. I grew up most of my life here in North Minneapolis and I am a North High School Alumni. Go Polars! In 2015 my family was proud to make our home here.

For the past 10+ years I lived just across the river in Northeast Minneapolis and when it came time to purchase a home, initially we were looking to stay there. However, I personally felt this calling to return back “home”. I wanted to return to a place where I could raise my son and there would be no question if he or “we” as people of color belonged. Like anyone when looking for a home, we look to find a place where we can fully BE and express ourselves. That is how I felt returning to North. In the past year and a half since I have been back home I have had the opportunity for grow in my engagement in community building with my neighbors – such as being elected as Vice President of the Old Highland Neighborhood Association, starting Old Highland Peace Garden, I was even a Delegate to our City Council ward convention for the first time.

Despite what is communicated in the news about North Minneapolis, good things are happening here. Good things have always been happening here and I am hoping to contribute to streets.mn in a way that helps shed light on this. I really appreciate how welcoming our neighbors have been since we moved back, and working on the garden has helped me feel a greater connection to the community around me. Don’t take this as undermining the ongoing issues we have such as a higher rates of gun violence, unemployment, etc – as a citizen of North, I recognize the ongoing work that still needs to be done.

My goal of writing for streets.mn is to help change the narrative of what is being portrayed about the Northside. I want to highlight stories about the work being done here – that has always been going on. I want to feature stories in a day in the life of my neighbors, and that feature the livability of North. We are more than gangs and gun violence. Like an individual person, we are a complex and diverse community, just like the rest of Minneapolis. We work hard, we are people who care and actively strive to create a safe place for ourselves and families, and we show each other love – NoMi Love.

12 Responses to NoMi Love

Bill Lindeke June 12, 2017 at 9:35 am #

I had to google Old Highland. Looks great. I’ll have to walk around there sometime soon.

2. Janelle Nivens
    Janelle June 12, 2017 at 9:43 am #

Angelina,

I am so excited our paths crossed again and that you’re writing for sreets.mn. I’m grateful that you are going to highlight all the gems in North Minneapolis. I love this ending paragraph “We are more than gangs and gun violence. Like an individual person, we are a complex and diverse community, just like the rest of Minneapolis. We work hard, we are people who care and actively strive to create a safe place for ourselves and families, and we show each other love – NoMi Love.”

I would love the opportunity to talk a walk with you like we did when you lived in NE Minneapolis. Until then, I’ll be following your streets.mn posts!

• Angelina McDowell June 12, 2017 at 4:47 pm #

How great is it that met up again?! I would be happy to walk around with you again. I was thinking I would like to pick your brain about your walking routine and incorporate it into a community building activity here with my neighbors.

3. Walker Angell
    Walker Angell June 12, 2017 at 10:23 am #

Welcome to streets.mn!

4. Max Hailperin
    Max Hailperin June 12, 2017 at 10:29 am #

Having been through 20 neighborhoods now (including a couple in North Minneapolis), I am totally prepared to believe your claim that “good things are happening here” — so far as I can tell, good things are happening *everywhere*. Near North is still quite a ways off in my alphabetical list, but I’m looking forward to seeing your area. (Sooner, maybe in a couple months, I’ll get to Folwell — that’s the next north neighborhood on the list.) I’ll be reading your posts with interest and appreciation.

• Angelina McDowell June 12, 2017 at 4:50 pm #

Definitely let me know when Old Highland is next. If it’s timed well, hopefully we can get you to attend one of our monthly Wine & Cheese parties so you can meet with some of the neighbors that have been here for awhile and get an inside look at one of many of the beautiful homes here.

• Melody Hoffmann
      Melody June 18, 2017 at 8:25 am #

Can you clarify what you mean by being “prepared to believe your claim”?
      Why don’t you just believe her claim? It’s her lived experience. The phrasing seems problematic to me.

• Max Hailperin
        Max Hailperin June 18, 2017 at 8:38 am #

Her own reply suggests she did not take my comment as disrespectful. If I’m wrong about that, I would be glad to apologize to her.

5. Karen Nelson June 12, 2017 at 11:51 am #

Thanks for all your community support for our cities and for joining up with the streets.mn board.

Looking forward to hearing about your neighborhood, community works, and hearing about your knowledge, gathered from your experience with so many associations.

6. Bryan Hollaway June 12, 2017 at 12:26 pm #

Thanks for joining the streets.mn board Angelina! I look forward to hearing more positive stories about North Minneapolis.