Chart of the Day: MSP Non-Minnesotan Domestic Migration, 1991-2016

Here’s a chart from, Aaron Renn, an urban economic consultant who has been critical the Twin Cities for some time now as not being attractive enough to national movers and shakers.

In his recent blogpost, he writes about how domestic in-migration to the metro area is up slightly, but why he does not think much of these data.

Here’s the chart that’s the kicker:

Msp Non Mn Migration Chart

Renn writes:

Here’s my bottom line. A one or two year uptick in a key measure is good news and something to be celebrated. But when local boosters are sending me this to try to suggest MSP is different from the rest of the Midwest, that’s a problem. Because it’s exactly like the other higher Midwest performers like Columbus and Indianapolis.

Minneapolis is still failing at attracting national talent and that’s a 911 emergency for the region. Nothing in this data changes that as of yet.

Renn has been critical of the Twin Cities place as a economic leader in the midwest for a while. I wonder what kind of solutions he might have for making the Twin Cities more attractive to people from the East and West Coasts? I also wonder if anyone in Minnesota should even care about this.

, ,

6 Responses to Chart of the Day: MSP Non-Minnesotan Domestic Migration, 1991-2016

1. Jt September 20, 2018 at 7:24 am #

As someone who left the cities and always brags about how nice it is there as I currently live out of state, the reaction I always get is..

“What state is Minneapolis in?
    and
    “Oh it must be so cold there I could never last winter”

And that is from people in Ohio, who still have winter, mild as it may be.

2. Marshall September 20, 2018 at 3:24 pm #

The writer is from the Manhattan Institute, a conservative think-tank that focuses on generally libertarian focused policy goals. This fact does not disqualify analysis that Aaron Renn may offer from more in depth consideration, but don’t be surprised if the solutions he offers end up basically amounting to “cut taxes, government spending and let the free market solve it”.

3. Scott September 21, 2018 at 10:59 am #

Obviously, the extreme winter weather here is likely the biggest barrier to attracting residents from outside MN. My experience is that one of the only things people know about the state is that it is cold during the winter. Often it is news to people that I meet that the Mississippi River starts here, we border Canada and Lake Superior, and that MSP is a large metro region. It’s honestly a bit shocking the lack of awareness.

As someone who really doesn’t like MN winters, I have thought a lot about moving to other cities like Seattle, Portland, Chicago, and Denver. Yet, the combination of the quality of life, cost of living, economy, good government, etc. here seems so much better.

• Julie Kosbab September 21, 2018 at 11:46 am #

Chicago’s winter isn’t a lot better, truth be told, and they complain more about it.

Plus, when ice falls off the Hancock, it is a hazard.

4. Leslie MacKenzie
    Leslie Mackenzie October 2, 2018 at 10:55 pm #

Why do we want to attract people from the East and West Coast? Seems to me we have quite a lot of talent right here. How about we hire local. With an ample number of universities, we’ve got it covered. Personally, I think cold winters ensures people who stay are hardy, have a sense of humor, and are good with a shovel.

Bill Lindeke October 3, 2018 at 8:46 am #

Well I think other places are pretty good too and people that are from there might be nice.