Bikerlapse: Dayton to Griggs to Charles

A hand held hyperlapse shot with the iPhone 5 while biking along parts of Saint Paul’s newest neighborhood street bikeways.

9 Responses to Bikerlapse: Dayton to Griggs to Charles

1. David Levinson
    David Levinson October 18, 2014 at 8:23 am #

Did you just record yourself not stopping at stop signs, and violating the law?!

• Matty Lang
      Matty Lang October 18, 2014 at 8:48 am #

Heh. I think this is at least 6 times actual speed. I was biking very slowly on a Danish cargo bike fully loaded with groceries. I was technically violating the law by not coming to complete stops, but I was traveling at a speed where it would be ridiculous to do so as I had ample time to check for conflicting traffic.

2. Ron October 18, 2014 at 10:59 am #

I love the traffic circles along bike routes. It reminds me of living in Vancouver where they have them in some of my favorite parts of the city.
    I wonder if those are volunteer gardens in the circles.

• Matty Lang
      Matty Lang October 18, 2014 at 12:03 pm #

Yes, the gardens are planted and maintained by volunteers from the neighborhoods.

3. Adam Froehlig
    Adam Froehlig October 20, 2014 at 9:22 am #

You went right by a house my aunt owns. Her current tenant is a U student that loves that she can bike up Charles towards campus, or take the Green Line now.

• David Peterson October 23, 2014 at 4:26 pm #

Are the Rapid Flash Beacons at Concordia and St. Anthony active yet?

• Matty Lang
        Matty Lang October 23, 2014 at 4:40 pm #

I’m not sure if they are active yet or not. I think I noticed the signs were installed since I shot this video, but haven’t noticed the beacons.

4. David Peterson October 25, 2014 at 9:22 am #

I checked them out yesterday. The beacons are there with passive detection, but I found it hard to activate them, and I saw a few cyclists pass by without triggering them. Cars were also very poor at yielding for the crosswalk here, even with good visibility and (sometimes) some very bright flashing lights.