Gil Penalosa: Pedestrians First

Last summer, I was hired by the Knight Foundation to accompany and film a study tour taking a look at how the city of Copenhagen reinvented itself. 8-80 Cities founder and chair, Gil Penalosa, sums up the main pillar of creating livable communities in this first in a series of four videos when his says “Every city should have a law of two words. Pedestrians First.”

, ,

6 Responses to Gil Penalosa: Pedestrians First

1. Walker Angell
    Walker Angell February 28, 2015 at 10:02 am #

Great great video! Looking forward to the other 3.

• Matty Lang
      Matty Lang February 28, 2015 at 1:28 pm #

Thanks, Walker. I will be posting the rest here eventually, but if you can’t wait you can see them as part of the Liveable Cities guide (the last link in the text of this post).

2. hokan February 28, 2015 at 3:06 pm #

I too look forward to seeing the rest of the series.

I talked with the bike coordinator for Copenhagen a few years ago and asked in what ways infrastructure helped encourage cycling. He seemed surprised at my question and said that the infrastructure they’ve added was mostly a reaction to the already increasing levels of cycling. Instead, what seemed to make a difference was making motoring less attractive with things like high taxes on new cars and on gas and reduced availability of parking in the city.

• Matty Lang
      Matty Lang February 28, 2015 at 3:27 pm #

That’s right, hokan. The stick, in this situation, is probably even more effective than the carrot of high quality bicycle facilities although both are needed to get the best results.

3. Amy Brugh March 1, 2015 at 9:44 pm #

I watched this video with my 8 year-old son. We’re totally on board. Can’t wait for the subsequent videos.

• Matty Lang
      Matty Lang March 1, 2015 at 10:09 pm #

Thanks, Amy. The reception these videos are receiving thrills me.