So. It’s over. 2013 is in the books. And, while we know you’ve been reading our Best Of series with fevered delight, how about a January 1 recap of the magic that was 2013?
Without further ado, your complete list of 2013 Best Of, as chosen by YOU, our readers.
- Best Minnesota County Seat: Grand Marais
- Best Neighborhood Business Node (Minneapolis): 48th & Chicago
- Best Neighborhood Business Node (St. Paul): Selby & Western
- Best Way to Spend a Weekend Day with Kids: Minnehaha Falls
- Best Playground: Lake Hiawatha Park
- Best Place for Local Music: First Ave.
- Best Place for Ingesting: Aster Cafe
- Best Place for a First Date: St. Anthony Main
- Best Place for Imbibing: Republic (West Bank)
- Best Adaptive Reuse of a Building or Infrastructure: Town Hall Lanes (34th & 50th, Minneapolis) and Schmidt Artist Lofts (tie)
- Best New Development: 222 Hennepin
- Best Way to Gain Automobility: Car Sharing
- Best Bus Route for People Watching: #21
- Best Campaign Stunt: Jeff Wagner’s Cedar Lake Ad
- Best Civic Booster: RT Rybak
- Best Place for Utilitarian Cycling: Summit Avenue
- Best Place for Utilitarian Walking: East Hennepin Avenue to SE Main Street through Riverplace in Minneapolis
- Best Neighborhood for Families in St. Paul: Mac-Groveland
- Best Neighborhood for Families in Minneapolis: Kingfield
- Best Sports Venue: Target Field
- Best Rural Trail: Superior Hiking Trail
- Best Riparian Corridor: Minnehaha Creek
We can draw a few conclusions from this full list. For instance, an ideal date might be a stroll along East Hennepin Avenue to SE Main Street, to reach St. Anthony Main. While there, stop at the Aster Cafe to ingest. Afterwards, walk across the river to take in an event at the best sports venue, Target Field, or the best music venue, First Ave. Before saying adieu to your date, grab a pastry at 222 Hennepin, or grab car-share to go to the West Bank to imbibe at Republic.
Should the first date eventually move towards the family way, move to Mac-Groveland or Kingfield, two great places to access the best neighborhood nodes of Minneapolis or St. Paul. Should you choose Mac-Groveland, consider the easy access to the utilitarian cycling corridor of Summit Avenue a plus. And, of course, plan a weekend day with resultant spawn at Minnehaha Falls, and an outstate vacation to Grand Marais to check out the Superior Hiking Trail.
Thanks for supporting Streets.MN in 2013. Consider joining us and helping support us in 2014?
(Photos courtesy of the Minnesota Historical Society via Flickr/Creative Commons.)