Parking Validation: What If I Don’t Drive?

Two block-long parking ramps stand along Fifth Avenue South in Downtown Minneapolis. Photo: Unknown

You’ve probably been offered parking validation, as I have, at restaurants, grocery stores — even the county Human Services office where I receive benefits (while working three jobs and freelancing on the side).

But what if, like me, you don’t have a car? Which of these places will validate your visiting them by riding transit, biking, walking or scootering? This conversation came up recently on Twitter, when Julia Curran wrote about her experience asking businesses, hospitals and county entities about how (or whether) they support people who arrive by means other than driving.

So I decided to do some research. I reached out to Hennepin, Ramsey, Anoka and Dakota counties, as well as hospitals and businesses that I found to validate parking (thanks to the commenters of NUMTOT-Twin Cities) to understand how they treat people who visit their businesses by different modes. The hospitals I contacted — Hennepin County Medical Center and hospitals operated by HealthPartners — declined to comment for this story. However, representatives from three of the four counties, as well as some businesses, did get back to me.

County Support for Folks Who Don’t Drive

I live in Hennepin County. Every time I visit a county office to manage my benefits, I am always offered parking validation, despite having either biked or taken transit.

I never thought to ask for tokens at the county office before. Inspired by Julia, that’s exactly what I did on my last visit. And I got them, even though I was told that they weren’t intended for clients like me. Both the staff, as well as Laura Hoffman, policy aide for County Commissioner Marion Greene (District 3), told me that tokens are reserved for those who need to “meet immediate, urgent needs in limited situations, and are intended to assist in the resolution of temporary situations.”

What if someone — probably you — needs to visit the county offices for other purposes? I reached out to the offices of commissioners Irene Fernando (District 2), Greene and Angela Conley (District 4), who all represent a slice of Minneapolis. Each commissioner has their own budget and, as a result, their own policy to support those conducting business with them without driving.

Commissioner Greene’s office offers parking validation for visitors, “although it is not required to do so,” Hoffman said. This year, the District 3 office has also begun offering bus tokens to reimburse folks who traveled using public transportation. Akhi Menawat, communications and policy aide for Commissioner Fernando, said their office does the same thing.

Commissioner Conley does not offer the benefit but is considering it. In an e-mail forwarded by Policy Aide Cacje Henderson, the commissioner wrote: “You do bring up an interesting point that I have actually considered — how to reimburse those visiting by transit or other means. We need to explore a mechanism, much like the policy we have around parking validation, so we have checks and balances.”

In the meantime, Conley tries to meet with her constituents where they are based. “I know coming downtown can be challenging,” she said, “whatever mode you use to get here. That’s why I spend so much time in my district, meeting folks where they’re at.” Conley also strives to be accessible by phone, e-mail and social media.

Ramsey County provides bus tokens upon request for those receiving social services, in addition to the free parking already available at all of their sites. People who are volunteering or meeting with county commissioners or the county manager “can get their parking paid for/bus tokens on a pre-approval basis,” said communications associate Valerie Hsu. However, “commissioners do not generally give out bus tokens or pay for parking,” she said.

Dakota County does more. On September 10, 2019, Dakota County started DakotaLink, a six-month pilot program that provides free transportation services three times a day for people interfacing with the judicial or human services systems. It connects the judicial center in Hastings to bus hubs at Signal Hills Shopping Center in West St. Paul and the Cedar Grove Transit Station in Eagan. From there, users can transfer to Metro Transit to continue to the service centers in Apple Valley or West St. Paul. Dakota County Transportation Coordinator Robyn Bernardy said that ridership is increasing. “In the first four weeks of service, we had 46 riders total, but in the last couple of weeks, our ridership has increased to an average of six riders each day,” she said.  In addition, each facility has bike racks.

Anoka County did not respond to requests for comment.

For Some Businesses, the Car Remains King

Target, Trader Joe’s and Lakes & Legends are among the many businesses that offer parking validation, according to members of NUMTOT-Twin Cities (New Urbanist Memes for Transit-Oriented Teens). That doesn’t mean those businesses incentivize their customers to visit by other means.

For years, the Target on Nicollet Mall has offered one-hour free parking validation when you make a purchase of $20 or more. When I asked Target officials whether they planned to provide validation for transit users and people who walk — specifically for the Nicollet Mall location — they did not respond. The downtown location does have bike racks.

Trader Joe’s opened in downtown Minneapolis a year ago and offers one-hour free parking validation. Like Target, however, Trader Joe’s didn’t respond to questions about providing validation for transit users and pedestrians. They do have bike parking. And one employee let me take a basket full of groceries out to my bike, pack my groceries into my panniers and return the basket to the store.

Lakes & Legends Brewing will validate your parking at one of two nearby ramps if you purchase a drink. Employee Jason Ma says the brewpub does provide bike parking and discounts for those who live nearby but does not offer specific discounts for customers who visit by “bus, cab, rental bikes and scooters.”

On a recent shopping trip, a Trader Joe's employee let me take a basket full of groceries out to my bike so I could load up my groceries in my panniers. After I loaded up my groceries, I returned the basket to the store. October 27, 2019. Photo: Henry Pan

A Trader Joe’s employee let me take a basket full of groceries out to my bike so I could load my groceries in my panniers. Afterward, I returned the basket to the store. October 27, 2019. Photo: Henry Pan

Not All Businesses Want You to Drive

My research showed that more businesses validate those who bicycle than those who take transit.

Seward Community Coop in Minneapolis administers Cycle Perks, a program that rewards customers with a card punch every time they cycle to the store. Once you receive 10 punches, you are entered into a monthly drawing, where you are eligible to win $50. In addition, 60 businesses in Minneapolis and 32 businesses in St. Paul participate in the Bicycle Benefits program. To receive discounts and goodies as part of the program, you need to buy a sticker, affix it to your helmet, bicycle to the business and show your helmet to the checkout person. You can do this at any participating Bicycle Benefits business. You can also join the Midtown Greenway Coalition.

I have found only one business in the Twin Cities that provides perks to transit riders. Butter Bakery Cafe, located on Nicollet Avenue and 37th Street in south Minneapolis, provides half-price drinks on Mondays for those who show a bus pass. (If you run a business that supports customers who ride transit, or are looking to do this but are running into challenges, please get in touch with me.)

Let’s Incentivize All Modes of Transportation

One of two cars involved in a crash on Hennepin Ave. between W 28th Street and the Uptown Transit Station. The vehicle was flipped over after it was broadsided by an oncoming car. August 9, 2019. Photo: Henry Pan

One of two cars involved in a crash on Hennepin Avenue between West 28th Street and the Uptown Transit Station. The vehicle was flipped over after an oncoming car broadsided it. August 9, 2019. Photo: Henry Pan

I understand why businesses and the county subsidize driving. Driving is expensive, and so is everything that comes with it: car registration, insurance, gas, maintenance. But people who live in areas poorly served by transit and who lack access to multimodal infrastructure often have to drive. I know a mother and son who live in Minneapolis, have chronic disabilities, special dietary needs and no recurring income, and they need a car to run their errands.

But driving is also dangerous, for all of us. In 2018, the Minnesota Pollution Control Agency found that on-road vehicles emit the second-highest amount of air pollution in the state. Folks who live along freeways — specifically Interstate 94 — are more likely to be hospitalized for asthma. Meanwhile, people are dying from the repeated mayhem that cars cause.

As we approach climate catastrophe, let’s hope that more businesses — especially those that serve alcohol — do their part to encourage folks not to drive. Businesses that participate in Bicycle Benefits are leading the way. So is Butter Bakery.

Let’s remember and reward those who ride transit, walk or scooter to an establishment. People like me. Or Julia. People who don’t drive still need basic daily necessities: groceries, winter gear and the occasional drink with a friend or date from an online app.

Just like those who drive.

, , , , , , , ,

25 Responses to Parking Validation: What If I Don’t Drive?

1. Beth November 11, 2019 at 10:07 am #

Hi Henry,
    News to me that the downtown Target does have bike racks! Where are they? I haven’t found them in the past and have been disappointed (along with the lack of bike parking generally on Nicollet…)

• Henry Pan
      Henry Pan November 11, 2019 at 10:55 am #

I thought they were on the 9th Street side of the Target, but I guess not?

Adam Miller November 12, 2019 at 2:20 pm #

No. The redone Nicollet Mall has bike racks across Nicollet and a little down the block from the store, though.

2. Henry Pan
    Henry Pan November 11, 2019 at 11:42 am #

According to @BreeMinneapolis you get a La Croix if you bike to HUGE Theater!

3. Lee November 11, 2019 at 1:06 pm #

Interesting article. It has never occurred to me to ask for a bus pass in lieu of parking validation when offered, althouch it makes sense.

I’m curious if any of the businesses you talked to said why they offered incentives for biking but not walking or using mass transit. Is it just that no one has organized it or thought of it? I would love to bike to local businesses, but it’s not really an option for me.

• Henry Pan
      Henry Pan November 11, 2019 at 7:50 pm #

I didn’t ask the businesses directly, I only went through the Bicycle Benefits list. That is a great Q for a follow-up article. I also don’t think there is a transit or walking equivalent of Bicycle Benefits, which would be nice!

4. Paul L Nelson November 11, 2019 at 1:30 pm #

When I have an appointment at a clinic in the United Hospital campus in Saint Paul, I am asked: “Where did you park?”. I reply, “I didn’t”. I take public transit to go there and I could go by bicycle but the bicycle parking is very poor and demeaning (Blue Ramp) and only two racks for two bicycles in the back of the Nasseff Building.

Bill Lindeke November 11, 2019 at 5:08 pm #

It would be good to have a letter-writing or public shaming campaign focused on places like this…

• Pete Barrett November 11, 2019 at 9:07 pm #

Isn’t that the Nasseff Heart Center??? Like, they would be interested in heart health?

5. Serafina Scheel
    Serafina November 11, 2019 at 2:02 pm #

Hennepin County told me a couple of years ago that they don’t provide transit passes because “it’s a mode of transportation — such that unless someone walks or bikes, there’s a transport expense that everyone incurs — whether by bus, vehicle or LRT.” In other words, people who drive were still incurring an expense to get there, even if their parking was subsidized, so it would be unfair to fully subsize transit riders.

• Rosa November 11, 2019 at 3:41 pm #

That would be a reason to offer a partial transit credit but it doesn’t make sense as a reason not to offer one.

• Lou Miranda November 11, 2019 at 4:33 pm #

Yeah, that’s complete BS.

The county is paying extra for parking spaces that cost thousands (up to $30-50k/space in a ramp) of dollars. And 40 people can travel in a bus, requiring far less road infrastructure than single occupancy cars, saving the county millions of dollars. Transit, bike, & walkers also produce little or no greenhouse gases or other pollution, saving the county healthcare dollars. And on and on.

• Sam A November 11, 2019 at 10:01 pm #

Plus, transit riders are also incurring a substantial expense, in the form of their time. Even with the many great recent improvements in rail and aBRT, most trips by public transit aren’t door-to-door. One of the most common reasons people don’t use public transit is that it takes too long.

6. Peter Vader
    Peter Vader November 11, 2019 at 2:47 pm #

The word choice itself is hilarious. While subsidies in other contexts are derided as “handouts” here language goes completely in the other direction, drivers needing Validation.

• Lou Miranda November 11, 2019 at 4:37 pm #

Ha ha. “Hi, I’m a motorist, and I need validation!”

I’ve gotten validation from Methodist Hospital in St. Louis Park many times. But if Excelsior Blvd. were safer, and the hospital actually had an entrance on Excelsior (rather than a long, car-optimized driveway past the parking ramp), it might make more sense to bike there for an appointment.

So much of our land use conspires against better options.

7. Monte Castleman November 11, 2019 at 5:07 pm #

That “Driving is expensive” and thus they’re trying to subsidize trips in motor vehicles to their store is not the per se the reason businesses provide validated parking. They couldn’t care less how much it costs you to get there. The reason is that having to pay for parking is a enormous psychological deterrent to shoppers, way out of scale in terms of actual dollars and cents (although when I realized how much I was actually paying for my “bargain” books when you counted parking at the Calhoun Square ramp I stopped going to Majors and Quinn, which doesn’t validate). So not offering validation puts them at a huge competitive disadvantage relative to places that can offer free on-site parking.

• Andrew Evans November 12, 2019 at 11:58 am #

I usually just walk a few blocks when I go to Uptown. Reminds me of my youth. Although yes, the cost can add up in that lot.

I guess it depends on what you’re going for too. My partner and I used to hang out a lot at Amazing Thailand, and I used to go to the cigar shop quite a bit when it was there. Neither to me or us are really worth the parking cost, which more or less ends up as the uptown entertainment tax. It’s easier to go elsewhere.

That said, if we really want to go shopping at the kitchen store, or the spice store (if we ever remember it) then that additional cost is acceptable. It’s not like we do that every day, and I’d mentally lump it in to “paying for parking”, rather than some additional tax.

I’ve said it before, but my partner and I haven’t really gone out in Uptown, or Downtown for a while now. When we decide on places to go it’s mostly in North East, which is easier to get to anyway. They also use more of the food delivery services now, and I’ve started to cook more.

I’m not sure that some of the people pushing for fewer or no cars realize that people will just end up shopping somewhere else and that the business may no longer be there if it’s difficult or expensive to go there. Nothing in uptown to me is worth the bus ride or a ride sharing service, at that point it’s easier to order it online or make it a part of a trip to the burbs.

• Rosa November 16, 2019 at 11:01 am #

You’re exactly right, and this is a big reason to abolish free street parking. The different psychology of charging vs. free is a lot bigger than the difference between “some” and “more”.

• Andrew Evans November 21, 2019 at 11:36 am #

It has a tipping point though.

We used to go to Hells Kitchen now and then, along with Britts and even the News Room. We don’t now that prices have inflated to what they are, and street parking is $3 an hour. It’s easier to stay in NE for brunch or go out to the burbs.

Same with uptown. Although it has been such a pain for forever, we don’t get down that way often and don’t really think of it as much as we once did. From where we live, its’ easier to go to NE somewhere or the burbs.

The trick is though with things like the kitchen store or (I’m assuming) the books Monte talked about. Even with adding sales tax the internet and especially Amazon has no parking fee, and with shipping can be cheaper than somewhere local, and potentially easier for the consumer. Sure there are some stores that will be destinations, or fill niche rolls, but quite a few are easily replaceable.

For instance the other week my partner ordered some shampoo online because they were too busy to go to a store. The next day it was delivered. Why spend 50% more to buy some baking sheets when the exact same ones can be found online, delivered, and I don’t leave the house?

I still may want to go to the store, and I still may want to pay more for the service involved or for some questions to be answered, but then the extra hassle of parking, taking a bus, or paying for parking may tip the scale and I’ll go somewhere else.

Because it’s not the choice for me of riding a bus, I’m not going to do that to go to Uptown for some shopping. It’s the choice for me to either go to that store or go somewhere else.

8. Dennis November 11, 2019 at 7:03 pm #

Even Metro Transit is subside parking at all their numerous basically bribing people use their buses and trains.

9. jason November 12, 2019 at 11:25 am #

It is interesting how people expect businesses to provide free parking and people demand it since they don’t show the true cost .It would be nice if they could add parking as added fee .Every businesses should be mandated to start collecting a fee like credit card Company there will be fewer parking .
    Businesses should be require to offer parking cash out .

• Andrew Evans November 12, 2019 at 12:07 pm #

I don’t expect it, but personally I do take parking and ease of access into account before going somewhere. At times it’s worth it, and the additional fee or tax is fine, other times it’s easier to go somewhere else.

10. Brian November 12, 2019 at 4:58 pm #

I suspect the reason businesses validate parking is because parking has been supplied by most businesses for so long that customers come to expect parking or they go elsewhere. I expect for the downtown Target that the cost of parking validation is made up for by not having the cost of a huge parking lot.

Customers arriving by transit have not been conditioned to expect free transit fare when they patronize a business because businesses by and large don’t offer transit passes to customers.

I don’t understand why the county is doing parking validation.

• Jim B November 15, 2019 at 9:56 pm #

A few years ago I stayed in Downtown LA and noticed a few restaurants that offered a discount for people who took public transport to the restaurant. I think this would be a nice incentive for diners and a good advertisement for Sushi Train or any of the restaurants on Nicollet.

• Jim B November 15, 2019 at 9:56 pm #